Paston Place Viaduct
{short description of image}
Probably the most photographed, and most spectacular part of Volk’s Railway was the metal viaduct which, from 1901, has carried the railway off the Banjo Groyne over the beach to Madeira Drive.
Over the years the action of the tides against the groyne and the general shift of shingle down the English Channel has seen the beach level getting higher. During the war, when beach management meant putting up barbed wire and planting mines, the shingle finally reached the underside of the track and the viaduct disappeared from view.
Now only those who knew it was there would realise that such a structure existed.
{short description of image}
{short description of image} {short description of image}
Engineers renewing track on the curve where the line curved off the viaduct and on towards Black Rock.
The picture to the left shows the site of the viaduct before the track was recently relaid. As can be seen the shingle has built right up to the level of Madeira drive and a triangular concrete infill has been placed to the north of the line. Even in the late 1990s the remains of part of the viaduct structure can be seen either side of the track.
{short description of image} An empty stock working from Black Rock bound for the car sheds crosses Banjo Groyne with the rear car still on the old viaduct formation.
This picture was taken from Magnus’s office verandah in the Arch late one evening after a VERA extended running day.

Return to ROUTE MAP Return to HOME PAGE